Wondering what the lifeguard flags in Uruguay mean? Beach warning flags may vary in different parts of Uruguay but generally the code is:
- green – good bathing conditions
- yellow – bathe with caution
- red – don’t go in the water
- black, maybe with lightning – electric storm (occasionally appropriated when lifeguards go on strike!)
- red with a green cross – unsanitary bathing conditions (for example, algae)
- red with the word ‘Peligro’ written on it – peligro means danger. Don’t go in the water in this area.
Holiday like a local. Get all the essential info you need in the Guru’Guay Guide to Uruguay: Beaches, Ranches and Wine Country.