Experience amazing cuisine in Uruguay
Specially selected best Uruguay restaurants —including the infamous Mercado del Puerto for steak, tiny places where staff worked at La Huella—for drinks, a gourmet chivito, Uruguay wine & fresh veggies
Where to eat
- Beef – Cabaña Verónica in the Port Market
- Seafood in Montevideo – Es Mercat
- Breakfast, cocktails and chivitos in a historic cafe – Bar Montevideo Al Sur
- Uruguayan classics with a twist (and Tuesday jazz) – Bar El Mingus
- Bistro open noon-midnight with massive wine list – Baco
At the beach
- Amazing foodtruck on the coast – Lobo Suelto (amazing foodtruck)
- Seafood specialities in Punta del Diablo – Il Tano Cucina
- 100% local and organic fine-dining – Salón No. 3
- Fine-dining just outside the capital – Verne
- Home cooking with spectacular sierra views 360 degrees – Estación Penitente
Our favourite Uruguay restaurants, bars and services
Look no further for the most creative fine-dining in Uruguay—down an urban backstreet or hidden in a leafy suburban park—, to the best food truck & local cuisine, to the juiciest steak in Montevideo.
Can you believe this? A personalised wine delivery service in Montevideo. Adriana selects Uruguay wine to your taste and budget & delivers to your home.
Besides great wine, in our experience, this award-winning women-run winery 45 minutes from Montevideo, has the BEST lunch of Uruguay vineyards.
A new Montevideo bakehouse selling ‘bread and other stuff’. Bagels to DIE for. Their innovative club sends sourdough (& culture) direct to your door weekly.
One of the best seafood restaurants in Punta del Diablo & open all year round. Family-run, it’s minutes from the ocean & specialises in home-made pastas.
Would you like to be part of the Top Picks? Let us know
Guru’Guay only recommends eateries and Uruguay restaurants that we absolutely love, who love what they do and demonstrate consistently excellent quality.
Unfortunately consistent quality is not all that common in Uruguay, which is why a great recommendation from someone who knows is sooo important. We’ve visited every one of our Top Picks multiple times.
With more than 200 wineries, Uruguay is the new world’s undiscovered wine jewel.
- Introduction to Uruguay wine country
- Tannat: 1 out of 3 bottles in Uruguay is a tannat Find out why
- Top tannats of 2020
- 2020 produced some of the best wines in decades
- Best Uruguayan wines (2017)
- 3 Uruguayan white wines you must not miss (2014)
- Uruguay wines vs. Argentina’s, who comes out top? Financial Times’ Jancis Robinson was rating Uruguayan wine highly back in 2014
With passion & soul
Written by a Brit with all the contacts and knowledge accrued over almost twenty years living in Uruguay, this guidebooks will make your holiday planning stress-free and ensure you have an unforgettable time in one of South America’s least-explored destinations. Buy the Guru’Guay guidebooks for your tablet, kindle and phone or get the paperback versions.