After nineteen long months, totally closed to regular travelers, Uruguay finally opens its borders from November 1. We share the regulations as announced on October 28.
Uruguay travel entry requirements
Who can enter?
Uruguay is allowing entry for the following travellers:
1. People showing proof of vaccination in the last nine months prior to arrival. Accepted vaccines include Coronavac and Sputnik as well as those available in the EU and elsewhere.
2. People who show proof of having had Covid-19 a minimum of 20 days or a maximum of 90 days prior to embarkation. Proof can be a positive PCR or antigen test.
3. The under-18s, vaccinated or unvaccinated.
The good news: New arrivals will not need to quarantine.
4. Unvaccinated travellers can apply for a permit to travel <– NEW
Other travel requirements
- show proof of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of embarkation
- take a further PCR test seven days after arrival. There are a number of companies that offer this service. We’ll provide more details shortly
- provide a sworn statement up to 48 hours prior to embarkation confirming the absence of symptoms and contact with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 cases in the 14 days prior to admission. Complete the form <– UPDATED, NOW IN ENGLISH
- have health insurance.
The latest on the pandemic in Uruguay
27 November 2021, Montevideo Reasonable news continues to come out of Uruguay. We are down to between 100-300 cases per day for the last five or so months and very very few deaths.
Seventy-five per cent of the population is fully vaccinated and 39% already have a third shot. Eighty-five percent of 12-19 years olds are also vaccinated.
We keep this page on Uruguay & the pandemic updated whenever there's significant news
Uruguay is open for travel since November 1
Six reasons I'm grateful to have been living in Uruguay during this pandemic
Uruguay opens for travel from November 1 with just a few general restrictions. Find out what they are, and rejoice—no more quarantine!
If you have not been vaccinated against Covid-19, you can now enter Uruguay with a permit to travel from the government.
Uruguay has done well to obtain vaccines from three different manufacturers, and so cover the needs of the entire population.
It happened on the eve of Independence Day—almost as if it had been planned. Uruguay’s vaccination rate is third in the world, and cases plummeting.
The government banked on a fast vaccination campaign to control the pandemic in Uruguay. The data shows the strategy is working.
The latest data on flights and flying to Uruguay from the US, Europe and within Latin America while the borders are closed. Updated August 18 2021.
Thanks to a strong vaccination campaign, Uruguay will open its borders to all travellers from November 1st. Travellers must show proof of vaccination.
As Reuters reports Uruguay covid cases are down to 5% of its peak, we run you through the numbers and maps we access every day here in Uruguay.
Take a peek at the numbers of people getting vaccinated, where they live and their ages. Spoiler alert: People are getting vaccinated in droves.
Good news!! Health minister foresees, as Uruguay vaccination numbers among best in the world, a return to normalcy and travel to Uruguay. Find out when.
Cases increased dramatically in March —compared to what we’d seen until now. Guru’Guay gives you an overview from the ground of what’s happening in Uruguay.
Vaccinations for COVID-19 are underway in Uruguay. Struggling to sign up for yours? Here’s what you need to know to schedule your shot with minimum stress.