Il Tano Suites420-friendly Punta del Diablo hotel
You’ll love your suite with private deck looking out onto a splash pool and a lush green garden inn Punta del Diablo.
Il Tano Suites is possibly the best-value hotel in Punta del Diablo, with many of the comforts of a four-star hotel. The location is away from the town centre, tucked away in pine woods, the closest beach–Playa Grande–is the most secluded.
There are six suites in total. All are large (40-50 sq m), very well-equipped and cosily decorated. Each includes a comfortable seating area with a real fireplace (wood provided!) – perfect for cosy evenings. The luxurious beds have hotel-quality linens and ample pillows. I loved the spacious bathrooms with whirlpool bathtub, great water pressure and fluffy white towels.
The owners Luciano and Ximena live on site with their three children. Nothing is too much for them. They’ll pick you up at the bus station, help you rent bikes and make sure there are vegan options. They don’t speak English but rave reviews show that’s no impediment to outstanding customer service. Luciano worked on the coast of Rimini in Italy. Recently they looked into returning to Europe, then they realised they would be crazy to give up the freedom and quality of life they have in Pdd.
This Punta del Diablo hotel is 420 friendly. Luciano is always happy to gift guests with his organic home-grown.
What you should know
- Perfect for couples. No children allowed.
- You are next door to Il Tano Cucina, Pdd’s best restaurant open year round. Take advantage of Luciano’s homecooked breakfast (exclusive to guests) with scones, eggs, homemade jams, and capucchino made with coffee selected by Cafe Gourmand. Consider half board or full board, so after a long day you can shower and amble into the restaurant.
- Taller guests, request one of the three suites with kingsize beds.
- The well-equipped kitchenettes have a fridge, microwave, kettle and toaster.
- The wifi can be a little spotty. Not recommended for a work deadline. But why are you working???!
- Dog lovers will love the large, lazy dogs on site.
What’s close by
- Beaches Four beaches comprising six miles of coastline utterly deserted most of the year
- Whale-watching from the beach between June and November if you’re fortunate
- Santa Teresa National Park, Rocha 2,000 acres of forest and gardens, a colonial fort and some of Uruguay’s most spectacular beaches 10 mins by car
- Beach hike to Santa Teresa A spectacular walk along some of the most beautiful beaches in Uruguay 2-2.5 hours one way
- Cabo Polonio National Park, Rocha One of Uruguay’s most incredible beauty and wildlife spots 50 minutes by car
- Chuy A Brazilian-Uruguay bordertown with ATM and gas station (at competitive Brazilian prices!) 20 minutes
The Guru’Guay Guide to Uruguay includes much more great background and recommendations for a Rocha holiday
Low season just 45 USD per night per suite (note, does not include maid service). Two night minimum.
High season 120 USD per night,
Luciano’s homecooked breakfast 10 USD per person.
Half board 40 USD.
Full board 60 USD.