Your Guru has been living here for over fifteen years. Let me help you get started.
Why visit Uruguay?
One of South America’s smallest countries, tucked between Argentina and Brazil, Uruguay has it all – sun, sand, progressive political system, the world’s longest carnival, world-class wine, marijuana-legalisation, fabulous architecture, courteous friendly locals, amazing music, authentic tango (not the “for export” kind prevalent in Argentina), historic cafes, great meat…
However amazingly, Uruguay is still pretty much of a secret holiday destination.
My conclusion is that there is very little information available in English about Uruguay as a vacation destination. That’s why I’m here to fill the gap.
Essential reading for planning your trip to Uruguay
- Choosing the best time to visit Ahem. Uruguay is NOT a tropical country but it’s always a unique destination
- Choosing an airline including my tips on the companies to avoid
- Getting from the airport into Montevideo or elsewhere *NEW
- The best ways to get to Uruguay from Argentina including most leisurely, fast and cheapest ways and how much you can expect to pay
- Things to do in Montevideo: A 4-day plan What I might recommend to family and friends
- Learning Spanish in Montevideo *NEW
- Exchanging money This is where you see that Uruguay is completely unrelated to Argentina
- Getting around like a local on foot and by bus and a recommendation for car rental
- Internet connectivity Uruguay has good speeds, free wifi all over, plus it’s easy to get hold of a SIM card
- Meal times and restaurant opening hours
- Tipping etiquette
Invest in The Guru’Guay Guide in paperback or for your tablet or phone. It’s essential planning input for your trip to Uruguay and you’ll be supporting the UruGuru’s work, for which we are hugely grateful!
[Psssst, so you know, Amazon takes around 70% of the book price. So if you prefer most of what you pay to reach Guru’Guay, shop strategically – that means, get the paperback from Create Space and the digital version from the Guru’Guay Shop. Cheers!]
[Page last updated: December 22 2016]