Probably Uruguay’s best-known country hotel, San Pedro de Timote is a delicious place to relax by the pool, horse-ride, take long strolls, or settle down in front of a roaring fire in one of grand lounges.
As an estancia San Pedro de Timote was the pride of Uruguay for two hundred years. Nowadays as a country hotel, it has thirty rooms in what was the main house and the hostelry arranged around a central shady quad. Hotel staff include a gaucho born on the premises. It’s just a 2.5 hour drive from Montevideo though you feel that you have come much further – back in time.
Guest rooms are spacious with antique furniture. Decor is simple. The highlight are the bedroom fireplaces which are lit in the winter. The rooms I stayed in had large bathrooms with lovely pedestal sinks, extra large showers and tons of piping hot water.
Every day there’s a menu of activities available at the front desk to plan your day. To be honest it felt like there was almost too much to do and that we’d never get to the poolside.
In addition, there are great seasonal activities that you can participate in or choose to observe including birdwatching, a June Chocolate and Wine Weekend and typical country festivities such as the Yerra in July and sheep-shearing in September-October.
An ideal retreat especially in winter. Limited internet, antique writing desks and a mysterious old library will get your creative juices flowing.
- Full board – breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner– all inclusive except for drinks
- Two outdoor swimming pools and one small indoor
- Lounges with leather sofas and huge fireplaces
- Horse-back rides for an hour every morning and afternoon
- Games room with table-tennis, table football, pool and a large screen TV with comfy sofas
- All activities
- Rabbits and guinea pigs for petting
- Egg collecting from the on-site chicken coup
- Visits to see lambs and calves including births in the spring
- Fishing (the fish are thrown back)
- Four-person boat for paddling
10% off when you book through the Guru’Guay website
Reserve now or ask for a quote
- Address: Directions