You’ll get a great idea of the city with this private biking tour of Montevideo. It criss-crosses the city taking in beaches, parks, landmarks and the famous “rambla” over a half-day.
The tour can cover these areas but as the tour is just for you and your party, you get to decide how far you go and where in consultation with your expert bike tour guide.
- The rambla, miles upon miles of glorious cycle-friendly promenade along what the Uruguayans refer to as the sea
- Pocito beach, and time for a photo shoot at the emblematic “Montevideo” sign
- the Port of Buceo and the Naval Museum
- Parque Rodó, Uruguay’s picturesque park overlooking the River Plate
- Centenario Stadium where the first World Cup was played in 1930 (there’s a small charge to enter the stadium or the Uruguay Football Museum)
- Avenida 18 de Julio Montevideo’s high street
- The hundred year old Agricultural Market and its magnificent English-made wrought iron structure
- The National Assembly where Uruguay’s progressive legislation is signed into law
- A thorough exploration of the Old City (Ciudad Vieja), the oldest part of Montevideo.
Monday-Friday at 10am and 2pm (April-November) and at 9am and 3pm (December-March)
- Choice of city bike or mountain bike
- Children’s bikes
- Helmet, lock and water
- Friendly, knowledgeable, bilingual guide
FAQ: Is the bike tour safe?
It certainly is. At the start of the tour, the guide gives you a full orientation so you know what to expect and bikes are adjusted to each rider. The tour organisers specialise in outdoor and adventure tourism. They are a serious outfit, friendly, with a focus on your safety.
FAQ: What is the level of difficulty?
Low to medium – The tours are for everyone old and young wanting to pedal at an easy pace and take in the scenery. The city is flat with little traffic and a miles-long boardwalk. It’s why Montevideo is great place to ride a bike. Salkantay bike tours are four hours long, with lots of stops along the way.
FAQ: How do we know where to meet?
You’ll receive all the necessary details by email in advance of the tour. The meeting point is in Punta Carretas.
What you should know
This is a private tour and the organisers tailor it to your preferences So it can be longer or shorter, more or less strenuous, prioritise green spaces over historical sites… You decide.
Salkantay prides themselves on their great quality bikes (not a given with other companies, believe us).
50 USD per person
Discounts for groups of four or more
- Address: Directions