Imagine landing in Uruguay and finding youself in the heart of wine country sipping a Tannat by the poolside of a tiny country inn, just thirty minutes later.
Incredibly currently the only hotel in the Canelones wine-growing heartland, Chacrita del Sur is a charming little three-room bed-and-breakfast nestled just 10-20 minutes drive from more than fifteen vineyards. Your host is Soledad, the warmest Uruguayan born-and-bred owner. Soledad speaks an astonishing five languages –English, French, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish– and her services include setting up wine-tastings at the surrounding vineyards as well as driving you. A real plus as Uruguay has zero tolerance for drinking and driving.
Many guests come for the peace and quiet of the Uruguayan countryside. The inn has comfortable sitting rooms with squashy sofas, books and picture windows onto the most spectacular sunsets. The lovely pool, surrounded by trees, sunloungers and hammocks, is open from September to April (the water is naturally heated).
For families and the more energetic, there’s a small football pitch, a pool table and a chance to play a traditional Uruguayan bowling game called bochas. A local gaucho, Chiruzzo, is infamous for his asados (barbecues). For a recent visit by a stag party from New Zealand, Soledad put on an asado, wine-tasting and hired a ref for a friendly game.
You can drive into Montevideo in 20-30 minutes for dinner but if you find yourself hypnotised by the tranquility, Soledad offers lunch and dinner – with wine, of course using home-grown fruit and vegetables (‘chacrita’ means small farm) in season. Collect your own eggs for breakfast and even get your hands dirty in the organic garden and orchards if you want. Wines, jams, cold cuts, cheeses and olive oil all come from local producers.
- Location in heart of wine country 30 minutes from Montevideo
- Three guestrooms including a suite – all with private bathrooms
- Access to lounges for relaxing and private meetings (ideal for small retreats)
- Full breakfast including eggs, fruit, freshly-baked bread, juice, etc
- Swimming pool
- Fully-equipped kitchen to prepare your own meals if desired
Optional (for additional charge)
- Lunch and/or dinner available giving just three hours notice
- Transfer to wineries
- Wine-tasting with (super charismatic!) English-speaking sommelier available for groups
- Visits to the Santa Lucia river and protected nature reserve, including canoeing and horse-riding.
What you should know
- The suite has an ensuite bathroom. The standard doubles have their own private bathrooms just off common areas.
- Soledad does not recommend walking or biking on surrounding roads as they are narrow with no pavements
- Buses run from the centre of Montevideo several times a day (35-50 minutes).
- Soledad can arrange transfers from the city centre and airport.
Suite from 95 USD per night. Standard doubles 85 USD. Third person supplement 5 USD extra.
Reserve now or ask for a quote
The Guru’Guay Guide to Uruguay: Beaches, Ranches and Wine Country doesn’t include the Chacrita because we visited after we went print (Guru’Guay only includes what we have experienced and can recommend wholeheartedly). But if it continues as it is now, it will definitely be in the next edition!
- Address: Directions